Waiting...

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Our First Meeting...

Wow! I will try to post as much detail as I can. Chung Yi sent us a text message on Skype about 15 minutes before the specified time. That was surreal in itself. All those months of looking at Meghan's picture and to know that they were getting ready to introduce her to us. That in a few minutes the pictures we had burned onto our hearts and minds would come to life and we would hear her voice!

Right about 10pm they called us and there she was! She was sitting between a translator and a social worker who knew her well. She had on one of the dresses we had sent her. As soon as we saw her all our preparation, our broken Mandarin phrases, our well thought out topics of discussion - went right out the window. She had some toys with her. Out first came the doctor kit. She proceeded to give us all shots and listen to our heart beat. We called in the reinforcements and the boys joined the discussion. Next she pulled out some play food and fed us all carrots bread and ice cream. She also worked a puzzle for us and drew some pictures of us. She brought a notebook of pictures and artwork from school and she went through it with us.

Then Christian and Meghan started making faces at each other. There were a lot of giggles on both ends of the earth. We took a tour of the home and showed her the dogs and her room. Her room was perfectly set up for her. She particularly liked the fairy costume I had for her. She liked seeing her picture in frames at our home. Papa was there too. We went back to the kitchen to plug the computer back in and she pulled out a tiger mask. Christian put on his dinosaur mask and they growled at each other for a while. Then she got a ball and we played catch, a lot. I was afraid she was going to break the webcam on their computer.

It was difficult to get 6 people on the screen at the same time - we all wanted to be part of the conversation. All the boys were excited. Meghan was busy the whole time. I realized how young she is. She wasn't a big conversationalist, plus the translation thing. We asked some questions but mostly we were just eating her up. We tried to broach the name thing, but she was more interested in growling with her tiger mask on. She also took off her shoes and put her feet up on the table to show us her feet. I think she really enjoyed the attention.

We loved every moment of it. But the best part was that she called us Mama and Baba from the start. (Mommy and Daddy). Thank you God for this wonderful time with her. Thank you that for the first time ever, we did not have technical difficulties while skyping! It was so hard to say goodbye. We told her we loved her- not sure if the message got through. She said "Bye Bye". We blew kisses and they hung up.

We got to spend an hour with our little girl last night. I know she is doing well. I am happy. I can hold on a little longer.

2 comments:

  1. I am so HAPPY for you guys! I can't wait for our day to come...hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete